Thursday, June 7, 2018

Staying Healthy During and After Cancer Treatment

"“I’m proud to say that my family is full of survivors. My mother, aunt, and cousin are all cancer survivors. However, it’s a whole different ballgame when the person with cancer is staring at you in the mirror,” says Pam.
“I was diagnosed with stage II breast cancer in 2013. Not only did I learn I had triple-negative breast cancer (an aggressive and hard-to-treat type of breast cancer), but I accepted that my treatment plan would include chemotherapy followed by surgery and radiation.
“Before 2013, my days were spent working, driving a carpool, making dinner, and checking tasks off my never-ending to-do list. I wasn’t anywhere on that list. My true focus centered more on the health and happiness of my two boys.
“I’m thankful to be cancer-free today,” she says. “Having cancer forced me to understand the importance of making my health a priority.”

Preventing Infections During Chemotherapy

If you get chemotherapy to treat cancer, you’re more likely to get an infection. Chemotherapy kills many white blood cells, which are good cells that help your body fight infections. This is a side effect called neutropenia.
The most important things you can do to lower your risk of infection are—
  • Wash your hands often, and ask your family, visitors, and health care providers to wash theirs, too.
  • Get a flu shot every year, and encourage your family and friends to get one. Ask your doctor if you need a pneumococcal shot.
  • Call your doctor right away if you notice any signs of an infection, especially a fever..."
    Cancer treatment

No comments: