Here is what you can do to prevent CO from hurting your family:
- Before using your chimney or turning on the furnace, get chimneys and fuel-burning appliances checked by a professional who services those items to make sure they are working correctly and vented to the outside properly.
- Get a CO alarm. Better yet, install one on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas.
- If you already have CO alarms, make sure they are working properly. Have you changed the batteries this year? If not, replace the batteries.
- Replace CO alarms every 5 years or as recommended by the manufacturer. Newer CO alarms have end of life indicators that beep when the alarm is at the end of its working life and needs to be replaced.
- Never use a portable generator inside your house, garage, basement, crawlspace, shed or in a semi-enclosed space, such as a porch close to the house. Generators should be at least 20 feet away from the house when in use..."
- Carbon monoxide & Winter