"About 1 out of 10 people may have a seizure in his or her lifetime.1,2 That means seizures are common, and one day you might need to help someone during or after a seizure. Would you know what to do?
First Aid for any Type of Seizure
There are many types of seizures. Most seizures last for a few minutes. Here are general steps to help someone who is having any type seizure:
- Stay with the person until the seizure ends and the person is fully awake. After it ends, help the person sit in a safe place. Once they are alert and able to communicate, tell them what happened in very plain terms.
- Comfort the person and speak calmly.
- Keep yourself and other people calm.
- Check to see if the person is wearing a medical bracelet or other emergency information.
- Offer to call a taxi, friend, or relative to make sure the person gets home safely..."