"A MESSAGE TO THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES:
The American people elected me to fight for their priorities in Washington, D.C. and deliver
on my promise to protect our Nation. I fully intend to keep that promise.
One of the most important ways the Federal Government sets priorities is through the Budget
of the United States.
Accordingly, I submit to the Congress this Budget Blueprint to reprioritize Federal spending
so that it advances the safety and security of the American people.
Our aim is to meet the simple, but crucial demand of our citizens—a Government that puts
the needs of its own people first. When we do that, we will set free the dreams of every
American, and we will begin a new chapter of American greatness.
A budget that puts America first must make the safety of our people its number one priority—
because without safety, there can be no prosperity.
That is why I have instructed my Budget Director, Mick Mulvaney, to craft a budget that
emphasizes national security and public safety. That work is reflected in this Budget
Blueprint. To keep Americans safe, we have made tough choices that have been put off for
too long. But we have also made necessary investments that are long overdue.
My Budget Blueprint for 2018:
• provides for one of the largest increases in defense spending without increasing the
• significantly increases the budget for immigration enforcement at the Department of
Justice and the Department of Homeland Security;
• includes additional resources for a wall on the southern border with Mexico, immigration
judges, expanded detention capacity, U.S. Attorneys, U.S. Immigration and
Customs Enforcement, and Border Patrol;
• increases funding to address violent crime and reduces opioid abuse; and
• puts America first by keeping more of America’s hard-earned tax dollars here at home..."
2018 Federal Budget