This blog serves as a current awareness resource for recently published federal and Wisconsin government publications.
Thursday, December 8, 2016
‘Tis the Season to Decorate Safely
"During November and December 2015, there were six fatalities and an estimated 14,000 injuries treated in hospital ERs nationwide, due to holiday decorations. That’s an average of about230 injuries per dayduring the holiday season!
Falls, lacerations, back strains and ingestion of foreign objects were among the top holiday decorating-related injuries last season.To prevent decorating disasters, CPSC counts down the 12 Ways to Celebrate Safely:
12. Take special care with sharp, weighted, or breakable decorations. Lacerations were among the top reported decoration–related injuries last year.
11. Avoid trimmings that resemble food or candy that may tempt a child to mouth or swallow them.
10. Place decorations with small removable parts that can pose a choking hazard to young children out of reach.
9. Purchase only holiday light sets that bear the marking of a safety testing laboratory.
8. Examine new and old light sets for damage. Discard sets with cracked or broken sockets, frayed or exposed wires, and loose connections.
7. Keep burning candles in sight and away from places where kids and pets can knock them over..."